Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fun in Farmington

Our little Farmington has a big party this time of the year to celebrate it's heritage. We started this year a little early-- 6:30 am! Actually, Katie started early with the 10-K race. I was so proud of her - I can't imagine even walking 6 miles - let alone running!
After that, we had breakfast in the park and then came back at 10 am for the annual parade.

It's a strictly home town affair - a little corny but at the same time, very patriotic. Probably the highlight of my summers. I remember the year following 9/11 when everyone stood up at attention when the fire trucks passed. You couldn't help but cry. There was another year when they had just finished battling a blaze on our mountainside and literally saved our homes for us. We all stood up and cheered them down the street. (unknown at the time, they would again come to our rescue when another blaze started the very next year)

Another of my favorite entries in our parades are the high school marching bands. The horns and drums just get my heart going!

At night we returned to the Main City Park and watched some live music acts perform. There were fireworks, but Mr. Matthew was very, very tired and just wasn't going to make it to 10 pm, so, much to his sisters' displeasure, we went home.

I LOVE July!

1 comment:

  1. I remember your Farmington parade. I too had a lot of fun. That must've been in 1994!

    ReplyDelete