Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Best Oatmeal Cookies - Ever!

Cream all the wet ingredients together
Add the cornflakes and oats by hand and stir well.
Can you smell 'em?


When I was a kid, my mom, Mabel, was a lunchlady at my junior high and let's just say that I was (and am) known for my sweet tooth -especially in the area of cookies.

"When I was in school..." no, I didn't walk uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow - after all, I lived in So. California - BUT, in those days there was no pre-packaged, frozen, pre-prepared food in the cafeteria line up. If turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy were on the menu - it was whole roasted turkeys with homemade gravy and real potatoes.

Anyway, my mom would always save me one of these cookies on "Ranger Cookie Day" so that when I went through the line, I'd be sure to get one. The head cook re-calculated the recipe for home baking and I guard this one - not by keeping it a secret, but by sharing it with others so in case I should ever lose it, I can ask any of my family or friends for a copy. Or better yet -- a warm Ranger Cookie!

RANGER COOKIES

1/2 lb. butter softened
1 C. sugar
1 C . brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 C. oats (regular or quick cooking)
1-1/2 c. cornflakes (don't crush)
  1. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs & vanilla and blend well.

  2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and mix into the creamed mixture. Mix well.
  3. Add oats and cornflakes by hand
  4. Drop by spoonfuls 2" apart onto greased cookie sheet.
  5. Bake 350 for 10-11 mins.









4 comments:

  1. Nope, I can't smell them so I think I'll bake them tonight--they just look too good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I want to know what you think? More importantly, what did your hubby and boys think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were yummy and I couldn't stop eating the dough--I think I liked it better before they were baked! Making your recipe made me want gorilla grunts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really funny about the dough. I know what you mean. They say you shouldn't eat unbaked cookie dough but I live dangerously!

    ReplyDelete