Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

I have a decorating book that I just love called Flea Market Finds. they show how to re-purpose old cast-offs into pretty things. I wanted to make a 'cutsey' for some special friends for Valentine's Day so here they are...

Gel Candles

Gel Wax -bought at Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon. (30 oz)
Wicks and color from Hobby Lobby - you can also purchase scent but I didn't.



Old Pan, spoon and whisk bought at the 2nd hand store.


Punch cups bought at the 2nd hand store.



Step 1. Crank up the hot glue gun ahead of time - so it's hot when you need it. You will then glue the wick in the center of the cups.




Step 2. Melt the gel to 180 degrees.
After it hits that mark and is completely melted, remove from heat and add a few drops of color, stir, then pour into your cups.


That is how much of that 30 oz tub I have left. I used over 1/2 the tub for just 4 small candles. Pretty expensive craft I must say. I think next time I may just use paraffin. I think it would look just as pretty and will be much cheaper.



Finished!

Oh boy, don't ask me why 2 are solid looking and 2 are see-through. The first ones I made were the opaque ones and I forgot to glue the wicks to the cups ahead of time, and by delaying just that minute or two caused the wax to cool too much -so I got bubbles and opaqueness.

But I actually don't mind - both are pretty!


Don't forget to trim your wicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment